2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 35 mins
A chicken pie with no peas or carrots - by Deena Stovall, as printed in America's Best Lost Recipes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, with skin and bone
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 celery rib, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts, 9-inch
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 400 degrees. Cover a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- 2Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Place on the prepared baking sheet, skin-side up, and roast 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool to room temperature, remove and discard the skin, and cut the meat from the bone and shred the chicken into 2-inch pieces. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- 3Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the celery until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the flour and cook until it begins to brown, about 1 minute. Stir in the milk, broth, and zest and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Strain the sauce into a large bowl, discarding the vegetables. Stir in the chicken and scallions, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Let the filling cool until just warm, about 30 minutes.
- 4Spoon the chicken mixture into the pie shell and sprinkle with the cheese. Top with the remaining circle of dough. Trim all but 1/2 inch of the dough overhanging the edge of the pie, using your fingers.
- 5Cut four 2-inch slits in the top of the dough, brush with the beaten egg, and bake until the crust is deep golden brown, 45 to 55 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes. Serve.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Just Chicken Pie
Serving Size: 1 (441 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 909.8
- Calories from Fat 520
- Total Fat 57.8 g
- Saturated Fat 25.5 g
- Cholesterol 224.0 mg
- Sodium 551.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 53.9 g