Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Have a pound bag of carrots you want to get rid of fast? This is a great, fairly easy way to do it! =) Tastes pretty good too!! You can add other veggies if you want but the carrots and onion were pretty much the only fresh veggies I had on hand and the spices are all optional, to taste, but they definitely make it more flavorful! =) It tasted and looked more like a lentil soup when it was finished. Also, if you don't have Bragg Liquid Aminos (you should get some!) you can also use bouillon or use broth instead of the water.
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 1⁄2 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons cumin, powdered
- 1 tablespoon chives, dried and sliced
- 1 tablespoon celery, dried and sliced (you can use fresh celery if you prefer)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, powdered
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon mustard, finely ground (optional)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red chili powder (optional)
- 1 pinch cumin seed (optional)
- 7 -8 tablespoons Braggs liquid aminos
- water (probably about 8 cups)
- Clean and cut carrots. In halves, slices, however you want. The smaller the carrot pieces, the faster this will be finished.
- Put carrots in large pot on medium heat and add enough water to cover them fully. Add diced onions.
- Once water comes to a boil, take a hand potato masher and mash the carrots and onions. Repeat often over a 30-45 minute period. Optionally, you can remove half or all of the mixture to a blender (or use a stick blender) and puree it for a finer, easier creamy soup.
- Add spices listed (all are optional if you don't want to have all of them or you can add your own preferred spices) and the 5 tablespoons Bragg Liquid Aminos. Be sure to stir thoroughly. (You may want to add more water to make your soup more liquid. I recommend adding 1 tablespoons Bragg Liquid Aminos to every cup of water added. If you want a 'saltier' soup, just add more Bragg Liquid Aminos since it's healthier than salt.).
- Lower heat to low-medium and let simmer for 10-20 minutes. Then serve and garnish if you want to. =).