Annie H's Note:
This is one of the first recipes I developed when I started learning how to cook. It's endured the test of time and trial, and the husband still requests it over other variations I've tried out. Prep time is active cooking time. When you use a wok, there isn't whole lot of down time while the flame is on.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 dried chilies
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 6 ounces button mushrooms
- 4 ounces carrots
- 1/3 cup peanuts, roasted
- 4 ounces stir-fry sauce (I use Kikkumen)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sate seasoning (optional)
- 1Prepare ingedients: Wash, de-seed, and slice bell peppers; cube chicken into 1" pieces; wipe off and slice or chunk mushrooms; wash carrot and slice into matchsticks; in a small bowl, mix stir fry sauce, soy sauce (you can use mushroom soy sauce, or even hoisin sauce) peanut butter, ground ginger, and sate seasoning (I get mine from Penzey's)-- Put chicken in one bowl and veggies in another-- in a small bowl, have the peanuts ready.
- 2In a wok, heat oil and chili peppers; this will bring out the aroma and flavor the oil without burning the peppers-- the flavored oil helps spice the chicken; remove when they get a little too dark.
- 3When oil is barely smoking, stir fry chicken quickly until half way done.
- 4Add veggies all at once.
- 5Stir fry until peppers and carrots are tender-crisp; add the peanuts.
- 6Stir fry for 2-3 minutes more.
- 7Add sauce mixture and stir constantly until it is thickened and glossy.
- 8Remove from heat and serve immediately.
- 9Pick a bed for your stir fry (not included in ingredients; these are just suggestions): fresh cooked rice, fried rice, fresh spinach, udon, ramen or, for the adventurous, sprouts.
- 10Sides can include: fried rice, chilled pickled carrots, steamed peas, or anything your heart desires.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Just Another Stir Fry
Serving Size: 1 (292 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 390.4
- Calories from Fat 206
- Total Fat 22.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 94.4 mg
- Sodium 1611.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 32.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: