1/3 Photos of Just Another Chocolate Cake
This is one of my adopted recipes. I finally got around to making this. This is the first choc cake I've made from scratch in over 40 years, I discovered box mixes and never looked back. Since I adopted this orphan I decided I should make it. It seems fine to DH and me. But how would I know? I used Kittencals frosting Kittencal's Chocolate Frosting/Icing. I baked in a 9X13 inch pan, the original recipe calls for 3 pans but I don't have 3 pans. I left the original recipe instructions for those who prefer layer cakes. I think 50 min baking time for mine was about right.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine cocoa, hot water and baking soda in a small bowl.
- 2Let stand while mixing other ingredients.
- 3Cream the shortening and sugar together in a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, until light and fluffy.
- 4Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 5Beat in vanilla and cocoa mixture.
- 6Add flour alternately with the buttermilk to creamed mixture beating well after each addition.
- 7Pour batter into 3 greased and wax paper lined 8-inch round cake pans.
- 8Bake in a preheated 350 degree F. oven for 25 minutes or until cakes test done.
- 9Cool in pans on racks for 10 minutes.
- 10Remove from pans; cool completely on racks.
- 11To assemble cake, place one cake layer on serving plate.
- 12Spread with frosting of your choice.
- 13Top with second cake layer and spread a layer of frosting.
- 14Top with third cake layer and frost sides and top with remaining frosting.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Just Another Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (83 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.4
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 27.0 mg
- Sodium 183.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 25.9 g
- Protein 3.8 g