Recipe by Roosie
Good for camping, and mornings when you are rushed. The soy flour replaces eggs in this recipe, so don't omit it or replace it with something else. You could also probaby use soymilk powder to make these vegan.
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup soy flour (do not omit or substitute)
- 3⁄4 cup dry buttermilk or 1 cup powdered milk
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- You need a large bowl or dish pan to mix this inches.
- Measure the whole wheat flour, buckwheat flour, soy flour, dry buttermilk, salt, baking powder and sugar into the large bowl.
- Using a whisk or your hands, combine everything so it's evenly distributed.
- Measure in the shortening.
- Use your hands to mash it into the dry ingredients, until the mixture is the same consistency as coarse cornmeal.
- Transfer the mixture to a resealable container. Store on the pantry shelf for about a month, or in the refrigerator or freezer for 6 months.
- Makes about 7-1/2 cups.
- TO PREPARE: Stir the water and 1 cup mix together in a small bowl.
- If the batter seems too thick for pancakes, then add a bit more water and stir again.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot, well oiled skillet or griddle.
- Fry until the bottom of the pancake is brown and the top is dry and covered with small bubbles.
- Flip the pancake and brown it on the second side.
- Serve hot with syrup, or Applesauce.
- Makes 4 pancakes.
- This recipe can be doubled or tripled as necessary.