Recipe by Karen's Krazy Kitchen
I love to make a half batch of Jordan Marsh Strawberry Muffins, which calls for 1/4 pound of strawberries. I am also a pb&j fanatic! I can usually only buy strawberries by the pound. I make this little bit of jam with the left over stawberries to have on hand for a couple of weeks for a few great pb&j sandwiches or to serve on Pb&j Appetizers. I like a very tart jam so you may want to cut back a little on the lemon amounts to suit your taste.
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the sliced strawberries and sugar in a medium pot.
- Let sit cold for about 15 minutes, stirring once or twice.
- Add the lemon juice and zest.
- Bring to a boil, drop to a medium simmer and cook uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After the first 15 minutes of cooking, mash with a potato masher and drop to a low simmer.
- Cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring frequently and keeping an eye on them so they do not brown or stick.
- I am making this sound harder than it is but cook tops vary so and I don't want you to have burned jam --.
- Remove from heat and let cool for about 20 minutes.
- Put in a little jar and continue to cool until room temperature.
- Place in the fridge overnight to let it set up.
- I'm not an expert but I do feel safe saying it keeps for 2 weeks in the fridge.