Recipe by Mini Ravindran
This really is a big hit with all the age groups and turns out to be so impressive!
Top Review by hlamar
1) overall, not as flavorful as I would have expected -- would increase amount of spices next time 2) definitely not "just 5 minutes", heck it takes 15 just to boil the potatoes 3) not sure what is the best way to SLOWLY make the sesame seeds "crackle" b/c if you heat the oil to medium-high & toss in the seeds = instant crackle/browning & splattering oil (not a good scene). Best is probably to heat the oil to medium-low, add seeds & let crackle, add other seasonings, then turn up to medium-high (I would avoid high) & add potatoes. 4) other issue is how much oil to use? From my experience, I think the best is to cover the bottom of a large skillet with ~1/3in. of oil (use canola or olive to reduce polyunsat fat).
- 4 big potatoes, boiled/microwaved,peeled and cubed
- 6 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil or 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- fresh parsley (for garnishing) or coriander leaves (for garnishing)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed skillet/pot.
- Do not smoke the same.
- Add sesame seeds and wait till they begin to crackle.
- Lower the heat and add all the other spices.
- Take care as not to burn the same.
- Immediately add cubed potatoes and keep sauteeing and tossing on high heat for 5 minutes.
- Let the potatoes go brown on the edges.
- Transfer them to the serving bowl and garnish with fresh sprigs of parsley and coriander leaves.
- Enjoy with the noodles, rice, pasta, salads and breads.