Recipe by JLofAustin
Roquefort Pear Salad with Grapes and Spiced Pecans
Top Review by DailyInspiration
This is a very elegant salad and delicious as well. I did not have walnut oil or roquefort cheese -- I used gorgonzola instead. This dish has a great presentation and would be perfect for entertaining. Thanks for the post.
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup pecan halves
Apple Walnut Vinaigrette
- 1⁄2 peeled chopped granny smith apple
- 1 shallot
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2⁄3 cup corn oil
- 1⁄3 cup walnut oil
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1⁄2 sliced small red onion, separated into rings
- 8 ounces green beans
- 8 ounces baby mixed greens
- 8 ounces seedless red grapes
- 2 ripe unpeeled pears, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices
- freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces Roquefort cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Directions See How It's Made
- For the pecans, combine the brown sugar, cayenne pepper and cumin in a bowl and mix well. Stir in the oil. Add the pecans and toss to coat. Spread the pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until light brown, stirring once. Let stand until cool. You may prepare up to 2 days in advance and store in an airtight container.
- For the vinaigrette, process the apple and shallot in a blender or food processor until smooth. Add the vinegar and sugar. Process until blended. Add the corn oil and walnut oil gradually, processing constantly until creamy. Season with salt and pepper. Use immediately or store covered in the refrigerator. Shake well before using.
- For the salad, soak the onion in cold water or wine vinegar in a bowl. Blanch the beans in boiling salted water in a saucepan until tender-crisp; drain. Rinse with cold water until cool; drain. Toss the pecans, drained onion, beans, mixed greens, grapes and pears in a salad bowl. Add half the vinaigrette and toss gently until coated. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; Crumble the cheese over the top and toss to mix. Sprinkle with the chives. Serve with the remaining vinaigrette.