Recipe by JLofAustin
This great recipe was contributed by chefs Jeff Blank and Jay Moore of Hudson's-on-the-Bend in Lakeway, TX.
Top Review by DailyInspiration
Excellent recipe. I loved the addition of the ancho chilies -- they gave the potatoes an added depth of flavor; but not a spicy peppery taste. The texture of the potatoes comes out very creamy vs. a firmer texture like typical mashed potatoes -- probably due to the addition of the beer. We loved this recipe and I will be serving this delicious dish again. Made for PAC, 2011.
- 6 ancho chilies
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 lbs baking potatoes, peeled
- 8 ounces sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces bock beer (Shiner)
- 2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine peppers with enough water to cover. Let soften, drain. Chop chilies, discarding seeds, stem, membranes. Process chiles with 1/2 cup water in blender until pureed, adding water as needed.
- Combine potatoes with enough water to cover in a saucepan. Bring to boil, boil until tender, drain.
- Beat potatoes until smooth. Add butter , heavy cream, beer, salt, ancho paste; beating constantly until creamy. Add salt if needed.