Sue Lau's Note:
This is a nicely spiced vegan curry that one can easily add bean curd or slices of meat or seafood to if they wished. They call this jungle curry because it has no coconut milk, and no coconuts grow in the jungles of northern Thailand. Not every curry needs coconut milk, and this is even great for those on a heart-healthy diet.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Curry Paste
- 4 fresh Thai red chili peppers or 4 serrano chilies
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 stalks lemongrass, sliced thin (white part only)
- 2 inches fresh galangal, peeled and chopped (ginger may also be used)
- 1 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
For the Curry
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 ounces baby sweet corn cobs, split lengthwise
- 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces fresh green beans, halved
- 8 ounces fresh button mushrooms, halved
- 2 small broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar, vegan brown sugar or 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (for garnish)
- 3 -4 fresh Thai red chili peppers (for garnish) or 3 -4 serrano chilies, sliced into rings (for garnish)
- steamed rice or cooked noodles
- 1Prepare curry paste by mixing in a food processor or blender.
- 2Heat oil in a wok or deep skillet and add curry paste, cooking until fragrant.
- 3Add vegetables, coating thoroughly with curry paste, and cooking until almost crisp-tender.
- 4Add stock, soy sauce, lime leaves, sugar, and salt.
- 5Cook until vegetables are done to your liking.
- 6Serve garnished with cilantro and sliced chiles, over steamed rice or noodles.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jungle Curry
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 322.4
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 949.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.6 g
- Sugars 14.9 g
- Protein 14.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
baby sweet corn cobs
kaffir lime leaves