Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a nicely spiced vegan curry that one can easily add bean curd or slices of meat or seafood to if they wished. They call this jungle curry because it has no coconut milk, and no coconuts grow in the jungles of northern Thailand. Not every curry needs coconut milk, and this is even great for those on a heart-healthy diet.
For the Curry Paste
- 4 fresh Thai red chili peppers or 4 serrano chilies
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 stalks lemongrass, sliced thin (white part only)
- 2 inches fresh galangal, peeled and chopped (ginger may also be used)
- 1 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
For the Curry
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 ounces baby sweet corn cobs, split lengthwise
- 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces fresh green beans, halved
- 8 ounces fresh button mushrooms, halved
- 2 small broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons palm sugar, vegan brown sugar or 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (for garnish)
- 3 -4 fresh Thai red chili peppers (for garnish) or 3 -4 serrano chilies, sliced into rings (for garnish)
- steamed rice or cooked noodles
- Prepare curry paste by mixing in a food processor or blender.
- Heat oil in a wok or deep skillet and add curry paste, cooking until fragrant.
- Add vegetables, coating thoroughly with curry paste, and cooking until almost crisp-tender.
- Add stock, soy sauce, lime leaves, sugar, and salt.
- Cook until vegetables are done to your liking.
- Serve garnished with cilantro and sliced chiles, over steamed rice or noodles.
Oh my goodness, we loved this :D I didn't have broccoli, so substituted zucchini, which seemed to work well. I wasn't sure if the sugar quantities quoted are correct, or just doubled up, so I compromised and put in 3 tsps, which was fine! Otherwise, I stuck to recipe, and we very much enjoyed a healthy and flavourful supper, quicly prepared and served over noodles. I halved the quantities, since it was just DH and I, and still had enough over for my lunch today, yum, looking forward to that treat! Thanks, Sue!
this was a very yummy curry, I added about 500 grams of lean beef, and plenty of vegies, I also used the crushed garlic , ginger, lemon grass that comes in the jars so was very quick to prepare will make again , thanks for the reciepe