Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
These shrimp are a glamorous departure from burgers and hotdogs, yet are just as easy to fix. They only take a few minutes on the grill, so plan on cooking some other veggies to go with the shrimp while you have the grill hot. These shrimp can be the star attraction of a meal, or just serve one or two as a terrific appetizer for even greater things to come. Prep time indicated does not include the time marinating in the refrigerator.
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 16 large shrimp, peeled,deveined,tails left on
- 16 large basil leaves
- 16 slices thin prosciutto, fat trimmed
- Combine the wine, oil, lemon juice, mustard, chopped basil, and peppercorns and pour over the shrimp in a shallow bowl.
- Marinate in the refrigerator at least 3 hours, turning the shrimp occasionally.
- Prepare grill.
- Remove the shrimp from marinade, reserving it to baste the shrimp while cooking.
- Wrap the middle of each shrimp first with a basil leaf and then with a slice of the prosciutto.
- Thread the shrimp on 4 metal skewers, 4 to a skewer.
- Grill shrimp, basting with marinade for several minutes on each side.
- Serve immediately.
I think this recipe has potential, but needs more spices / flavor. Maybe add garlic and hot sauce to the marinade. Also, wrapping the shrimp in proscuitto slows the grilling time and it's difficult to judge when the "large" shrimp are done. I will try it again !
This grilled shrimp was so nice. I used shrimp I had on hand; large, peeled and deveined shrimp. I only needed to use 4 slices of prosciutto because the slices (of prosciutto) were so large and I was afraid of overwhelming the shrimp. I divided the prosciutto into four slices each and it turned out just right. I served this as sort of an afternoon snack/appetizer for my husband and myself. Thanks Geema for a great recipe!