Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Jumbo shrimp flamed with Pernod on a bed of fennel and tomato
- 4 large shrimp
- 2 tablespoons Pernod
- 2 whole fennel
- 8 tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove
- 8 leaves basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preparation time: 20 minutes.
- Cooking time: 20 minutes.
- Utensils: Cutting board, knife, pan, non-stick frying pan, spoons, big bowl, scissors, garlic press.
- Wash the vegetables and basil leaves thoroughly. Make a crosswise incision on the top of each tomato then place the tomatoes in a pan of boiling water for one minute.
- Drain the tomatoes and cool them in a big bowl of cold water to stop them from cooking further. Peel the skin and dispose of the seeds. Cut the flesh of the tomatoes into small cubes.
- The fennel.
- Cut off the green stems and external leaves then chunk out the hard part from the central core of the fennel for use. Prepare in small dices. Pour 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a non-stick frying pan, cook the fennel for 10 minutes, and then add the tomatoes and crushed garlic. Let it cook for 5 more minutes before adding salt and pepper to taste.
- The shrimp.
- Remove shell and de-vain shrimp. Rinse and dry with paper towel.
- Warm one tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan and cook the shrimp until they are a light golden color, for 2 minutes on each side. Add 4 tablespoons of Pernod, warm the dish, and then flame it. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place a jumbo shrimp on a bed of vegetables and decorate with sliced basil leaves.
- Pernod blends perfectly with Mediterranean ingredients and accentuates the anise flavors of the fennel used for this dish.