1 hr 15 mins
Lidia Bastianich; Lidia’s Italy. Istria
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 24 large raw shrimp (1 ounce per shrimp)
- 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 plump garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt or 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1Without removing any of the shell, remove the vein (digestive tract) that runs inside the curving back of each shrimp—slice open the back with a sturdy sharp paring knife, cutting through the shell and scrape out the vein; rinse the shrimp and pat dry.
- 2Pour ¼ cup olive oil into saute pan; set over med-high heat.
- 3Scatter in the garlic; cook until sizzling, then stir in the shallots.
- 4When they are sizzling, stir in ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ cup wine.
- 5Cook/stir frequently, until the wine is nearly completely evaporated and the shallots have softened.
- 6Drop in the tomato paste and stir it around the pan for a minute, coating the shallots and caramelizing.
- 7Pour in the rest of the wine, bring to a boil quickly, then add the water and ¼ teaspoon salt, stirring.
- 8Bring to a boil, then decrease heat and let the sauce bubble gently and reduce for about 5 minutes while you sear the shrimp.
- 9Add 2 tablespoons olive oil into a wide skillet; place over high heat until very hot.
- 10Scatter the shrimp in the pan, toss them in the oil, and season with the remaining ½ teaspoon salt.
- 11Cook for just a minute or slightly longer, until the shells are lightly colored and the flesh underneath is opaque, then turn off the heat.
- 12With the sauce still bubbling, slide in the seared shrimp and tumble to coat them all with the sauce.
- 13Stir in the pepper, then bread crumbs—use more crumbs if the sauce is thin.
- 14Cook for 2 minutes, then turn off the heat.
- 15Drizzle over the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and incorporate it well, tumbling the shirmp in the pan.
- 16Sprinkle the parsley on top, and serve immediately.
- 17Serve with crusty bread to sop up the sauce.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jumbo Shrimp Buzara Style (Buzara De Scampi)
Serving Size: 1 (146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 234.9
- Calories from Fat 166
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 35.2 mg
- Sodium 590.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 4.7 g