Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a great chilled pasta salad. It's very simple to make, but looks so elegant. Great for a brunch or a luncheon.
- 1 (16 ounce) packageuncooked jumbo pasta shells
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can crabmeat, drained,flake and cartilage removed
- 1 (2 1/2 ounce) can baby shrimp, drained
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese (4oz.)
- 1⁄2 cup salad dressing or 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped pimiento
- Add shells gradually to 6 quarts boiling salted water; cook until tender, yet firm.
- Drain; rinse with cold water, then drain again.
- Invert on paper towel-lined plate to cool.
- Combine crabmeat, shrimp, cheese, salad dressing, celery, onion and pimiento.
- If mixture seems too dry, add more salad dressing.
- Spoon mixture into cooled shells; cover and refrigerate until chilled.
I found this recipe in the "Classic Appetizers Home Cooking" book. It's a nice summer salad, I used 16 oz of medium conchiglie shells and mixed as a salad rather than taking the extra time to stuff jumbo shells as appetizers. I may add a pinch of dill or garlic next time and the flavors come together a little more after leaving in the fridge overnight.
I have made these before and everyone loves them. Great (finger salad) or (walking salad) for parties of all kind. Don't be afraid to taste as you mix, you might like something else added. I some times add sliced almonds. Also don't over cook the shells