1/1 Photo of Jumbo Reuben Loaf
This looked so good when I saw it, that I had to post it. Checked to see if it was here and it wasn't - so here goes. It was Rachel Ray's recipe that I changed around.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small red cabbage, quartered, cored and shredded
- 2 whole cloves (optional)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons mccormick's McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar or 3 tablespoons Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar or 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 large pumpernickel bread or 1 large rye bread or 1 large sourdough bread
- 1/2 lb sliced deli corned beef
- 1/2 lb deli maple-smoked turkey
- 1/2 lb deli sliced pastrami
- 1/2 lb sliced swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 2Preheat broiler and place rack 10"-12" from heat.
- 3To very hot skillet add vegetable oil, bay leaf, garlic, cloves(if using), cabbage, cinnamon stick and nutmeg.
- 4Cook, stirring frequently, 5 minutes, then add the grill seasoning and brown sugar or splenda and toss to coat.
- 5Add vinegar, cook off 2 minutes then remove from heat and let stand.
- 6Remove bay leaf, cloves and cinnamon stick.
- 7Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 8Cut 1' off bread acroos the whole loaf to remove top.
- 9Remove the soft insides of the bread to form a bread bowl.
- 10Pile half the cabbage into base of the bread.
- 11Fill bread with meats and Swiss cheese,.
- 12Place filled bread into the oven to melt the Swiss.
- 13Top melted cheese with the remaining seared pickled cabbage.
- 14Slather the top with sweet pickle mixed with chili sauce & mayonnaise, and set bread top into place.
- 15The loaf will appear whole and empty to the naked eye.
- 16Pack to travel or serve on cutting board.
- 17Cut loaf into 6-8 sections and serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jumbo Reuben Loaf
Serving Size: 1 (293 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 733.1
- Calories from Fat 303
- Total Fat 33.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.1 g
- Cholesterol 102.3 mg
- Sodium 2281.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 23.3 g
- Protein 34.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
deli maple-smoked turkey