Recipe by keen5
I got this recipe from an old Southern Living cookbook. I make these regularly, since we all love raisin cookies and this is a good recipe. Cook time is per pan. In answer to a reviewer, yes...You do add the rasins along with the water they were cooked in. As it cools, it thickens.
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook raisins in boiling water for 5 minutes, then let them cool.
- Cream shortening; add sugar and beat well.
- Add eggs and beat until well blended.
- Add vanilla and cooked raisins.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt, soda and spices.
- Add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Drop by spoonfuls on greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes.