Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Edit: This had a one star review because I forgot to list the amount of shrimp! It's now edited so I hope you give it a chance. This is so good! If you use smaller prawns make sure you reduce the amount of time you cook them. Recipe is from The Fisherman's Warf Cookbook.Time listed for recipe is if you are using peeled and deveined prawns.
- 20 large shrimp, peeled and deveined (you could also use smaller shrimp just make sure to reduce the cooking time)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- salt and pepper
- 2 ounces white wine
- Heat the oil and butter in a heavy saute pan.
- Add the jumbo shrimp, which have been peeled, deveined, and split partly through the back.
- Stir gently 2 - 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped green onions, the mushrooms, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until the prawns have changed color, and add the dry white wine.
- Cook 3 minutes and serve in a hot chafing dish.
Wow!!! This was so easy, and has a great flavor from the wine. I actually had a bag of pre-cooked frozen shrimp, so I defrosted it and cooked the onions & mushrooms first, tossing in the shrimp at the end just to get it hot. I also added in about 3/4 cup of imitation crab, and used all olive oil instead of half butter. I added a fair amount of freshly cracked pepper, and it really added a lot of flavor. Like other reviewers, I used over a cup of mushrooms, and think that other veggies could also be added. This is definitely fancy enough for company, and is going into my 10 star cookbook!
I tried this recipe because I had prawns to use up and for the fact that it got so many good reviews! I will give it marks for being easy, but it really lacked in flavour. The only change I made was add a large garlic, but even with that it was just OK....nothing special! ! Sorry, but I really don't understand how this recipe got such good ratings and I certainly wouldn't serve this to company! What a disappointment!!!
This is a really nice shrimp recipe! Very easy, very tasty. Is there any better combination? Thanks for sharing. Made for ZWT5 Groovy GastroGnomes.