Prep 40 mins
Cook 50 mins
When it comes to peanut cookies these are my all time favorites. The combination of unsalted chopped peanuts and cinnamon with the peanut butter short crust is heavenly. Yes, the preparation of the short crust cookies is sometimes tricky, but it is worthwhile. For me they are the best peanut cookies and if you have taste them once you will do them again again.
Peanut Short Crust
- 3 1⁄8 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 3⁄8 cup natural-style peanut butter, creamy and unsalted
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons very cold water
- 3⁄8 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 1⁄2 ounces peanuts, unsalted
- For the filling: chop peanuts and mix in a bowl with brown sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- Put flour, butter, sugar, salt and peanut butter into food processor. Mix until small pieces are formed.
- Add water and mix until it just holds together. Turn out on a floured flat surface and knead dough with floured hands one or two times just that dough holds together. Divide it into two parts.
- Layer plastic wrap on surface and well first part of dough with a floured rolling pin to a size of approximately 8.5 x 12.5 inches; set aside.
- Do the same with the second part of the dough. Sprinkle the filling onto this part of the dough. Cover it with the other part of the dough.
- Roll up from the short side to form a spiral. The plastic wrap will be of help. For Jumbo spirals roll up from the long side (a little bit tricky).
- Cover in plastic wrap and put into the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Meanwhile preheat oven (390°F/200°C). Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Take spiral out of the fridge and cut with a long knife into 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick slices. Before each cutting put knife into very hot water. Place spirals on baking paper with the aid of a cake shovel.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until slightly to light golden brown. Take tray out of the oven and let cool spirals on tray for 5 minutes. Using a cake shovel remove spirals from tray and let cool completely.
- NOTE: the roll up and forming of the spiral as well as the cutting into slices can sometimes be a little bit tricky, be patient.
- Cooking time is chill time and baking time.