Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
This recipe is from Chrystal Hanawalt of Cucamonga CA, a friend of my ex-wife, and they are VERY good! Cooking time includes 3 hours chilling time.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening (such as Crisco)
- 1 cup dark molasses
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Mix all ingredients in the order given.
- Chill for 3-4 hours.
- Roll dough 1/4" thick.
- Cut in 3" circles.
- Place on cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degF for 10-12 minutes.
- Let cool 2 minutes before removing from pan.
These are delicious cookies with crispy edges and chewy centers. Nice flavor and an easy-to-handle dough. DD enjoyed rolling them out and the entire family enjoyed them. Thanks Toby Jermain :)