Jumbo Coffee Cake Muffins
- Lightly coat 6 jumbo (3-1/2-inch) muffin cups with cooking spray or line with paper bake cups. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in the shortening until the mixture is crumbly.
- In another bowl, stir together the sour cream or yogurt, the 1/2 cup sugar, the milk, and egg. Add to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Stir together the brown sugar, nuts, the 2 tablespoons sugar, and cinnamon.
- Spoon half the batter into prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle half of the nut mixture into cups. Top with remaining batter and the remaining nut mixture.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes in pan on wire rack. Remove from pan and serve warm.
- For standard-size muffins, use twelve regular (2-1/2-inch) muffin cups; divide batter evenly as above. Bake in 400 degree F oven for 15 to 18 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Remove from pans and serve warm.