Recipe by puppitypup
Simple to make and lots more flavor than the store bought jars. Good with or without the meat.
Top Review by Lori Mama
Wonderful fresh flavor. I chose not to use the meat, only one can of tomato paste, used fresh mushrooms, the grated carrot and omitted the olives. I have 2 people who don't like them. Came together very fast. Delicious. :)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon parsley (fresh is preferable)
- 1 dash kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 1⁄2 ounces sliced mushrooms, drained (optional)
- 2 1⁄4 ounces sliced olives, drained (optional)
- 1 carrot, finely shredded (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove sausage from casings and break up as you brown it in oil with the onion. Drain grease.
- Add tomate paste and stir into well. Then add remaining ingredients, except parmesan.
- If you add the carrot it adds a nice depth of flavor without being visible or taste-able. (The kids will never know.).
- Cover and bring to a gentle boil on medium heat. Stir in parmesan cheese and mushrooms and olives if using them. Add more spices if desired.
- Serve over pasta.