This is my rendition of what my mom called "South of the Border" taco mixture. It's sweet and spicy and is perfect for tacos, Mexican salads, or dip.
- Brown ground beef in skillet, add chopped onions halfway through.
- Drain fat from beef.
- Add taco seasoning packet and add water as directed on package. Let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Bring heat up to medium and add corn. Stir until well mixed.
- Add sugar and mix well. Heat through.
- Add salsa and hot sauce.
- Allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve as a substitute for tacos (meat mixture with tortillas, shredded cheddar, lettuce, and sour cream), with tortilla chips, or in a Mexican salad.