Recipe by tuttifrutti
A recipe I got from a co worker. Scrumptious. She substituted butter for shortening in the recipe and it was divine.
Top Review by kayak_11127780
Great recipe! Recipe doesn't say exactly how long to cook the filling, so I was a bit unsure....so it cooked and cooked on a low setting...about 12 minutes until it was a nice jammy consistency. It stayed quite watery for a while, so glad I was patient. Butter is the way to go! I baked it only about 29 minutes, it seemed to brown very fast (probably from the butter) - so keep an eye on it!
- 3 cups rhubarb, cut up
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (dissolve in water)
- 1 1⁄2 cups oatmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup shortening (I used real butter)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix rhubarb , sugar, water, vanilla .
- Add cornstarch which has been dissolved in water.
- Cook until thick.
- Mix together ostmeal and all other ingredients until crumbly.
- Pat 3/4 of mixture into greased 9x13 pan (I used half mixture for top and bottom).
- Pour in rhubarb mixture and sprinkle remaining crumbs over top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- Cooland cut into small bars.
- NOTE: A 10 oz box of frozen strawberries can be mixed with the hot rhubarb mix.