Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A recipe I got from a co worker. Scrumptious. She substituted butter for shortening in the recipe and it was divine.
- 3 cups rhubarb, cut up
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (dissolve in water)
- 1 1⁄2 cups oatmeal
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup shortening (I used real butter)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- Mix rhubarb , sugar, water, vanilla .
- Add cornstarch which has been dissolved in water.
- Cook until thick.
- Mix together ostmeal and all other ingredients until crumbly.
- Pat 3/4 of mixture into greased 9x13 pan (I used half mixture for top and bottom).
- Pour in rhubarb mixture and sprinkle remaining crumbs over top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- Cooland cut into small bars.
- NOTE: A 10 oz box of frozen strawberries can be mixed with the hot rhubarb mix.
Great recipe! Recipe doesn't say exactly how long to cook the filling, so I was a bit unsure....so it cooked and cooked on a low setting...about 12 minutes until it was a nice jammy consistency. It stayed quite watery for a while, so glad I was patient. Butter is the way to go! I baked it only about 29 minutes, it seemed to brown very fast (probably from the butter) - so keep an eye on it!
These are so yummy! I mixed up the crust mixture in the food processor such that the nuts were well ground up. My family really liked them.
sally had this recipe and she had it marked good . im glad you posted this recipe