Recipe by Julesong
I know this sounds like a strange combination, but it's actually quite good! It's a nice, light salad, with the slightly vinegary taste of the rinsed sauerkraut contrasting nicely against the cool sweetness of the pudding. It tastes similar to carrot and raisin salad. Give it a try!
- 14 ounces sauerkraut, rinsed
- 1 (1 ounce) package instant pistachio pudding mix
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried grated lemon rind or 2 teaspoons fresh grated fresh lemon rind
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped pistachios
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup dried currant
- 1 tablespoon honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the sauerkraut and place in a large bowl.
- Fill the bowl with water and rinse pickling juices from the sauerkraut, then drain using a large strainer (or colander with small holes).
- Put the sauerkraut back into the bowl, refill it with cool water, and set it aside.
- Make the pudding according the package directions (You can use regular, or sugar free pudding for lower calorie, diabetic, and lowcarb menus).
- When it has begun to set, add the lemon rind (Rind from lime could be a good addition, as well!).
- Coarsely chop the pistachios and pecans- a food processor works well for this.
- Pour the sauerkraut into the strainer again and drain it well, pressing down on it with the back of a spoon or spatula.
- In a large bowl mix the rinsed/drained sauerkraut with the pudding, nuts, currants, and honey, and stir well.
- Pour into a serving container and chill in refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.