Recipe by Julesong
My family would crowd into the kitchen to get their first forkfull of Mom's potato salad. It's that good! This potato salad is not at all sweet - something which was important for our family. Let it sit in the fridge as long as you can before serving... it's even better the next day!
- 5 -6 medium potatoes
- 1⁄2 finely chopped onions or 2 -3 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill pickles
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- finely chopped celery (optional)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (Best Foods, Helmann's, or Vegenaise - a little more, depending on texture after mixing)
- chopped boiled egg, for garnish
- paprika, for garnish
- dill weed, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam potatoes with skin on.
- Mix together all ingredients except potatoes.
- When potatoes are done, cut (it's up to you whether or not you want to leave the skins on) while still warm and fold together with the mayo mixture - it makes it taste better to combine while warm.
- Put into serving container and garnish.
- Refrigerate for at least three hours before serving (the longer the better).
- This potato salad is even better then next day!
- Note from Julie: I use the dried minced onion because I like their texture, omit the celery, and add about 1/4 tsp of both curry powder and dried mustard... but don't tell Mom. ;)