Recipe by Julie in TX
This is a great summer picnic salad. I first ate it at a family reunion and have changed the original recipe only slightly. I prepare it the night before I want to serve it to give the flavors time to blend. I have also taken it to tail-gate parties where it's been a big hit. I included the cooking time for the macaroni in the prep time.
- 1 (12 ounce) package elbow macaroni or 1 (12 ounce) package shell macaroni
- 1 cucumber, seeded & chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, sliced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, cubed or cut in strips
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (may use white pepper if you wish)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 cup pickle relish
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 cups mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Drain, cool and add all of the ingredients with the exception of the tomatoes.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together.
- Toss the macaroni mixture with the dressing mixture and refrigerate for 6-8 hours.
- Add the tomatoes just before serving.