Recipe by Julesong
My mix is based on a recipe that my childhood best friend's mother, Mrs. Harper, had for Chex Mix. It became an annual ritual for me to call her to ask for the recipe yet again. :) This mix is so very, very yummy and decadent! Good thing I only make it once a year...
Top Review by Treenickel
This mix was outstanding. I think my bacon must've been a little fattier than some, because the first batch I made I could taste the bacon grease just a little stronger than I would have liked. The second batch I cut it back a little. On the second batch I also used Crispix instead of some of the Chex (ran out)I also accidentally used Honey Nut cheerios but I actually think the little bit of sweetness it added was really good and I might just do it this way intentionally next time, it made a really nice sweet and salty kind of combo.
- 453.59 g bacon, slices (approx, up to 1/2 cup drippings) or 78.07 ml bacon drippings (approx, up to 1/2 cup drippings)
- 118.29 ml butter
- 29.58 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 2.46 ml onion powder
- 2.46 ml celery salt
- 1.23 ml ground sage
- 2.46 ml Lawry's Seasoned Salt, to taste
- 1.0 ml Tabasco sauce, to taste
The Dry Mix
- 473.18 ml dry roasted peanuts
- 236.59 ml cashew pieces
- 473.18 ml pretzels (whatever shape you prefer, but small ones are easier to handle)
- 1182.95 ml Corn Chex
- 709.77 ml Rice Chex
- 236.59 ml Wheat Chex
- 473.18 ml Cheerios toasted oat cereal
- 236.59 ml cheese nips or 236.59 ml goldfish crackers
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry up the bacon until it's nice and crisp. Note: for those who've asked, 1 pound of bacon (in my experience) will yield between 1/3 to 1/2 cup of drippings. It depends on the bacon you use.
- Then place the cooked bacon in a container and reserve it for another use- it's the leftover drippings you're after!
- Pre-heat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- Melt the butter and bacon drippings together in a saucepan, then stir in the seasonings to make a nice, buttery mix.
- In a very large bowl, combine the mix ingredients.
- Gradually stir in the buttery seasoning mix until the dry mix is evenly coated.
- Spread on cookie sheets and bake for 1 hour, turning every 15 minutes.
- Spread on paper towels to cool.
- Store in airtight container.
- Makes about 14 cups Chex mix snack.