Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
My favorite commercially available curry powder is from Penzey's, called the Maharajah Style Curry Powder. But when I've been out of it (horrors!) I've made my own curry powder - based on the Penzey's Maharajah ingredients - from ground spices, and this mix is also wonderfully flavorful and tasty. It is sweet and not hot, although you could add some hot ground chile to it, to taste, if you like.
- 1 tablespoon spanish paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground fennel
- 1 tablespoon ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons ground dried ancho chile powder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon vietnamese ground cinnamon or 1 teaspoon regular cinnamon (cassia)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon snipped saffron thread
- Mix them all together very well (running them through a coffee grinder together is a good idea).
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
- Makes 1/2 cup curry powder.
- When I use this mix, I usually lightly toast the powder (to perk up the flavor) in a hot skillet, stirring occasionally, for 1-2 minutes before adding into my recipes.
Finely a curry powder I like that is not spicey hot or bland because it was store bought and was probably on their shelf loosing its flavour for years. I used the paprika, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cardamom (adding a bit extra as I love it), regular cinnamon, ground cloves in a little lesser amount, black pepper instead of white as I didnt have any, ground ginger and a little bit more saffron than called for. The rest of the spices I omitted as I didnt have them on hand when I had to make this. I used some whole spices, most pre-ground and blended it all up in a coffee grinder which worked very well and I would recommend others to do the same. I used this in Potato and Pea Sambusa (Somali) which worked very well. Also have used this in Curried Tuna-Apple Sandwiches which was delicious. I would make this spice mix recipe again.