1/1 Photo of Julie's Cornbread Dressing or Stuffing
This is an old family recipe that I have altered just a little with some advice from Paula Deen. You can use my cornbread recipe Julie's Cornbread or make your own, but make sure it's not sweet cornbread. And if you use store-bought broth, you might need to eliminate the salt from the dressing. (Mom always cooked the giblets and turkey neck in the turkey broth on the stove, then discarded the giblets and chopped up the neck to include in the dressing, but you don't have too :) )
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1DAY BEFORE OR EARLY IN THE DAY.
- 2Make cornbread.
- 3Pinch up other bread into 1/2" pieces and toast in oven until dry but not brown or hard. I use a large cookie sheet at 200 degrees for 1 hours.
- 4Dice celery and onion and keep refrigerated.
- 52 1/2 HOURS BEFORE SERVING.
- 6Crumble cornbread by hand into the bowl with the bread.
- 7Add the eggs, sage, salt and pepper.
- 8Add 2 cups of turkey broth.
- 9Add the cream.
- 10Add additional chicken broth, until you reach the right consistency. Be careful not to add too much as the dressing will not set. (You want enough liquid so that the bread will soak it up and still be just slightly soupy.).
- 11Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (If using the same oven as the turkey, plan to cook longer to accommodate the lower oven temperature.).
- 12If not using a disposable pan, spray pan with Pam AND line it with heavy duty aluminum foil or regular aluminum foil, doubled. Spray the foil as well.
- 131 1/4 HOUR BEFORE SERVING.
- 14Place dressing in the oven.
- 15Check on it starting at 45 minutes. Depending on the size of your pan (the depth of the dressing), it will take anywhere from 45 minutes up to 1 1/4 hour to get done.
- 16Serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Egg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Egg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Julie's Cornbread Dressing or Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (76 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 137.1
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 89.2 mg
- Sodium 378.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 5.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: