Recipe by puppitypup
This is a family recipe, tweaked a bit because my husband doesn't like overly sweet cornbread.
Top Review by CoffeeB
This is quite nice as the previous reviewer exclaimed!!! And, I also used buttermilk in place of milk. I only had skim on hand and didn't think that would work as well. Also, had a cup of corn leftover from dinner the day b/f and so added that as well. Your right about it not being as sweet as normal cornbread recipes. Just the same, it had great cornbread taste. Made it in an 8x8. Thanks Julie~! Made for SpringPAC 08.
- 1 teaspoon bacon grease, to grease the pan
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄8 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (optional)
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil or 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 8x8 or 9x9 pyrex pan with bacon grease.
- Mix dry ingredients. Cut in shortening.
- Stir milk and egg into mixture just enough so that the ingredients are barely incorporated. Don't overmix.
- Pour into greased 8x8 or 9x9 pyrex pan and bake at 375 degrees for 17-20 minutes or until nicely browned.