Recipe by wjorma
I was tired of bottled Plum sauce being too sweet and not quite flavorful enough for the family so I came up with this recipe 3 years ago. (yield is 4 eight oz. cups and about 20 calories per Tbsp.)
- 8 cups plums, pitted and quartered
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 5 dried cayenne peppers, split
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- In large heavy saucepan, bring plums, onions, water, ginger and garlic to boil over medium heat; cover, reduce heat to low and simmer, about 30 minutes until plums and onions are very tender.
- Press through sieve and return to clean pan; stir in sugar, vinegar, coriander, salt, 5 spice powder and 5 DRY cayenne peppers,split . (Do not use bell peppers).
- Bring to boil, stirring; reduce heat to low and simmer until mixture reaches consistency of applesauce, about 45 minutes.
- Fill and seal jars; process in boiling water bath for 30 minutes.
- Makes about 4 cups.