Recipe by Julesong
Called that not because Julie makes it, but because hubby Mike makes it and it's Julie's favorite! :)
Top Review by Steingrim
It look a long time to get the balance of spices just like Julie likes it. We make this often. The tofu and mushrooms are a good addition for diabetics instead of serving over rice.
- 2 skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 lb extra firm tofu, drained in colander then cubed
- 1 small onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (Julie prefers crimini)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons smooth cashew butter
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄8 teaspoon african bird pepper (you can substitute other pepper, to taste - African bird pepper is VERY hot)
- 3 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (Ceylon preferred)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons ground cardamom
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop the onion, saute in butter and olive oil until they're opaque.
- Throw in the sliced mushrooms, cubed firm tofu, cubed chicken breast meat, and saute some more.
- Add the spices, saute until chicken is cooked and onions are browned.
- Warm the cashew butter in the microwave for about 45 seconds, to soften it.
- Then add the half and half and cashew butter to the chicken mixture and stir.
- The sauce will pretty much thicken by itself.
- Mike eats his over fragrant jasmine rice.
- I eat mine over collard greens (it's lowcarb that way).