Black cod is my favorite fish... a tender, white, non-fishy fish that goes wonderfully well with teriyaki sauce. If you've never had black cod, do yourself a favor and find some! It is also known as "sablefish." I can sometimes find it served in Japanese restaurants, and occasionally served smoked in Scandinavian restaurants. I usually purchase mine in Ballard (a Scandinavian Seattle neighborhood) markets or at Uwajimaya (Seattle Asian grocery) or Ranch 99 Markets (Tukwila Asian grocery).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (if you're going to bake the steaks).
- Mix together the melted butter, marinade, garlic, and a few dashes of pepper.
- Pour the mixture over cod steaks in a shallow glass dish, and let marinate for at least 20 minutes.
- To bake: bake in a casserole or baking dish in the marinade at 350 for about 20-30 minutes or until fish flakes easily.
- To grill: cook on a grill pan on your stove, turning carefully once, until fish flakes easily, about 15 to 20 minutes, brushing occasionally with marinade. I've also done it using a Foreman grill, brushing occasionally with marinade, until it flaked easily; it can take anywhere between 10-15 minutes, depending on your Foreman.
- Serve with steamed white rice, a little of the juices poured over.
This is, hands down, THE BEST fish recipe in the universe. No, seriously, I'm not exaggerating. We had never bought black cod before but found it at a local seafood co. and decided to try it. The fish itself is fabulous because of its flavor and tenderness, and this recipe just suits it to a T. We usually try to marinate for 12-24 hours to really let the flavors soak in. Everyone we've made it for raves about it! Thank you so much!
I followed this recipe exactly to prepare the black cod for dinner guests. When I took the fish out of the oven in 25 minutes, it had literally turned to a pureed mush. Needless to say, I was mortified. Perhaps the cooking time is too long in this recipe, or something else is wrong, but my meal was a disaster. Luckily, my local market was still open and I had to drop everything and run to the store to salvage the dinner party.
What is so sad is that it looks like not a lot of people grill cod steaks. I have made cod many times and I so regret not looking up your receipe sooner. Great flavor and so easy! Holding onto this one! And I actually have a co-worker making it tonight! Thanks!