Recipe by Porfavorcorona
I make this at least twice a month, an easy scalloped potatoe dish that you can make into a traditional French gratin by adding 1 teaspoon each dried thyme and minced garlic and replace the Cheddar with Gruyere Cheese. You can also replace the whipping cream with 3/4 cup fat-free chicken broth making this a lighter, more healthful dish - without sacrificing the taste.
Top Review by cvickers
Worst ever. Potatoes turned dirty grey in the oven; "sauce" clotted; inedible. I literally opened the toilet and poured it in, then flushed. So bad I activated an account to warn of it. Waste of good food.
- 6 medium russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, snipped or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cut the potatoes onto julienne strips.
- Place in a greased 2-quart casserole.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Heat whipping cream and butter in a saucepan until butter melts.
- Pour over potatoes.
- Sprinkle with Cheddar cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes longer or until lightly brown.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve hot.