Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From her original cookbook - I love syrup cakes. This one is my families favourite and I had to share!
- Beat the butter and sugar until fluffy and light. Add the zest and eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift the flour and ginger. Fold into the creamy mix.
- Pour batter into a greased and lined 26 cm spring form tin.
- Bake at 150oC for 50-60 minutes (or until cooked when tested).
- Meanwhile, when the cake is cooking: place the syrup ingredients in a saucepan. Dissolve the sugar over a low heat. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Skim off any scum that arises. Reduce heat slightly and simmer for 10 minutes (you should have just over a cup of syrup).
- Remove the cake from the oven when cooked, pierce the top of the cake all over with a skewer, carefully pour the syrup all over the cake. Leave to cool completely.
- Remove the cake from the pan and slice into wedges.