- 4 sole fillets, 1/2 in thick
- 3 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon fine flour
- lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons capers
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the fish with salt and pepper and turn in flour, shaking off excess.
- Heat 1 teaspoon butter and 1 teaspoon oil in a pan until the butter foam begins to subside.
- Lay in the fillets and sauté for about a minute on each side, just until the fish begins to take on a light springiness to the touch. -Do not overcook; if the fish flakes, it is overdone.
- Remove to a hot platter and sprinkle a tablespoon of minced fresh parsley over the fish.
- Rapidly wipe the pan clean with paper towels (so the flour residue will not speckle the butter to come – or use a fresh pan).
- Heat 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter in the pan, swishing it about and letting it brown lightly. Remove the pan from heat, squeeze in the juice of half a lemon, and capers before spooning the hot butter over the fish.