Recipe by KathyP53
The best chocolate mousse you'll ever experience. This is Julia Child's recipe.
Top Review by enigmused
I made this for my cooking club and we all thought it was fantastic. I thought the directions were a bit unclear though. In the end, I used just used 2 double boilers for step 1 and step 4.
- 6 ounces high quality semisweet chocolate, cut into small chunks
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup strong brewed coffee
- 8 tablespoons softened butter, cut into chunks
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine chocolate and rum in a small pot; nestle pot inside a larger pot filled with water and set aside to allow to melt.
- Beat yolks in another small pot until pale and frothy.
- Combine sugar and coffee in another pot; cook over medium heat until dissolved, 5-6 minutes. Pour coffee mixture into yolks in a stream, while whisking, set aside.
- Pour water into a large pot to a depth of 2". Heat over medium-low heat until hot but not simmering. Nestle pot with yolk mixture over pot and cook, whisking vigorouslym until thick and creamy, about 8-9 minutes. Transfer yolk mixture to a clean bowl; beat with an electric mixer until cool; about 5 minutes.
- Uncover chocolate mixture and stir; add butter and whisk until smooth. Fold chocolate-butter mixture into yolk mixture; set aside.
- Beat egg whites in a bowl until just frothy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat to stiff peaks. Stir 1/4 of the egg whites into chocolate-yolk mixture; gently fold in the rest. Spoon mousse into 6 serving cups or dishes. Chill until set. Beat cream to stiff peaks; transfer to a pastry bag with a star tip. Pipe a rosette of cream onto each mousse.