Yia Yia's Note:
I don't think you can beat this recipe for simple, delicious mushroom soup. My hubby would eat this every day if I fixed it for him. It's so good! Please try it, and throw out the canned variety! Don't let the lengthy list and directions stop you. Julia Child was very meticulous and it all goes easily and pretty quickly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 6 cups boiling white stock (I use canned) or 6 cups chicken broth, seasoned with 1/2 bay leaf and 1/8 t thyme (I use canned)
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, seperate the stems from the caps & chop the stems. Save the caps for later
- 2 tablespoons butter
- the thinly sliced mushroom cap
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2-3/4 cup whipping cream (I've used heavy cream, 1/2 and 1/2, it's all good)
- 1 -3 tablespoon softened butter
- 1Melt 3 T butter in a saucepan and saute the onions slowly for about 8 - 10 minute Do not brown, just get them tender.
- 2Add the flour and stir over moderate heat for about 3 minute without browning.
- 3Off heat, beat in the boiling stock or broth with a wire whisk and blend it thoroughly with the flour. Season to taste. Stir in the mushroom stems.
- 4Simmer partially covered for 20 minutes, skimming occasionally.
- 5Strain mixture through a fine sieve, pressing juices out of the mushroom stems. I do this by placing the sieve over a large saucepan, letting the juices collect in the pan. Discard the stems and onions in the sieve.
- 6In another saucepan, melt the 2 T butter.
- 7Add the sliced mushroom caps, salt and lemon juice.
- 8Cook slowly for about 5 minutes.
- 9Pour the mushrooms and their cooking liquid into the saucepan with the strained soup base.
- 10Simmer for 10 minutes.
- 11*If you're not serving this immediately, set aside, uncovered, with a spoonful of cream or milk filming the surface. Reheat to simmer jut before proceeding.
- 12Beat the 2 egg yolks and 1/2 - 3/4 C cream in a mixing bowl. Add the hot soup by ladle-fuls until a cup has been added. Gradually add this back into the simmering soup.
- 13Stir soup over moderate heat for a minute or two to poach the eggs, but do not let soup come near a simmer.
- 14Correct seasoning.
- 15Off heat, stir in the remaining butter by spoonfuls, if desired.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Julia's Cream of Mushroom Soup
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 220.5
- Calories from Fat 184
- Total Fat 20.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 120.6 mg
- Sodium 192.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 4.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: