Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 25 mins
This looks scrumptious! Mmm...warm bread pudding! From Penzey's Spices catalog, this is a sample recipe from their One Magazine.
- 8 cups stale bread (1 medium loaf)
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- 8 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
WHISKEY SAUCE (makes 1 cup sauce)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup Bourbon (any)
- Combine the stale bread, PB, chocolate, and butterscotch chips, nuts, shredded coconut, raisins, and dried cranberries.
- Mix together the sugar, milk, cream, eggs, melted butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread mixture.
- The mixture should be moist but not soupy.
- Pour into a buttered 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Place on middle rack in non-preheated oven.
- Bake at 350°F for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the top is golden-brown.
- When the bread pudding is done baking, prepare the WHISKEY SAUCE.
- Heat butter and sugar over medium heat until all the butter is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and blend in egg yolk.
- Pour in bourbon gradually to taste, stirring constantly.
- Sauce will thicken as it cools.
- Serve warm over bread pudding.
- ***BOURBON NOTES: Using Jack Daniels will result in a stronger taste, whereas Southern Comfort will give you a sweeter taste.
I have many Bread Pudding Recipes, but this one is The Best of all! Everyone loves it! :-)
This bread pudding is really good.I make the sauce the same way but add 1/2 cup butterscotch schnapps in place of the whiskey.We just seem to like it better,something different I came up with when I didn't have bourbon on hand. Thanks for the recipe Koechin
I wasn't sure how to edit my 1st review, so I will just type up another. This is GREAT! The sauce that goes with it should be cooled off since it will thicken. I love it and will make again! Thanks!!!!