1/2 Photos of Julia Child's White Bread
3 hrs 25 mins
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 45 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pour 1/2 cup of the water into a bowl and mix with yeast and sugar til foamy.
- 2Let sit for 5 minutes until creamy.
- 3Put the yeast mixture, rest of the water and 3 1/2 cups of the flour into the mixer with the dough hook.
- 4Mix slowly until blended then add the rest of the flour.
- 5Increase speed and scrape down the sides til the dough comes together.
- 6(If it doesn't add a tbsp of flour at a time til it does.) Add salt and mix at medium speed for 10 minutes (or do half in mixer and half kneading) til dough is smooth and elastic.
- 7Back in mixer add butter 1 tbsp at a time (dough may come apart, but mixing will pull it back together).
- 8Turn dough out on lightly floured surface and shape it into a ball then place in a large buttered or oiled bowl.
- 9Turn dough so it is completely coated in the fat, then cover in plastic for 45 minutes to an hour, til it has doubled in size at room temperature.
- 10Butter 2 loaf pans.
- 11Deflate the dough, cut in half and turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- 12Roll out into a 9 x 12-inch rectangle.
- 13With the short end facing you, fold the dough into thirds like a sheet of paper to go into an envelope, creating a roll.
- 14Pinch the seam closed, and pinch the ends enough so it will fit in the loaf pan.
- 15Drop in the loaf pan seam side down, and repeat.
- 16Cover the loaves with buttered plastic wrap and allow to rise again in a warm place (80°F) for 45 minutes, until they double in size.
- 17Preheat the oven to 375°F and put the rack in the center of the oven.
- 18Bake for 35-45 minutes til they are honey brown.
- 19Immediately turn out of pans onto a rack to cool.
- 20Once almost completely cool, they can be cut.
- 21Store in a brown paper bag for a day or two.
- 22Once cut, turn cut side down onto a cutting board and cover with a kitchen towel.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Julia Child's White Bread
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 229.9
- Calories from Fat 31
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 439.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 5.9 g