Julia Child's Potato Salad Nicoise
- To prepare the sauce: With a spoon, pound together the garlic and salt to a paste. Beat in a T each of lemon juice and wine vinegar and the dry mustard. Slowly whisk in the olive oil and the pepper and basil. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To prepare the potatoes: Scrub the potatoes; steam or boil unil tender, about 20 minutes. Cut into chunks, or slice 1/2 inch thick. Toss potatoes gently with shallots, salt, pepper, chicken broth and water. Allow to sit 4 minutes, tossing once or twice to absorb liquid evenly. Add 1/4 cup dressing, toss again and refrigerate.
- To prepare the salad: Place the beans in boiling water 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water until chilles. Drain and pat dry; chill.
- Toss the lettace with several spoonfuls of dressing and arrange the leaves around the edge of a large, deep platter. Turn the potato salad into the middle of the leaves. Arrange tomatoes around the potatoes and drizzle with a little dressing. Toss the beans with a spoonful of dressing and arrange around tomatoes.
- Distribute the eggs and garnish with anchovies and capers. Ring the potatoes with a line of black olives. Break up the tuna and arrange in the center of the potato salad. Drizzle with dressing. Garnish with parsley and serve.