Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is by far the best salad nicoise.
- 1 garlic clove, forced through a press
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- fresh basil
- 4 medium white potatoes
- 1 tablespoon shallots or 1 tablespoon green onion, minced
- 2 -3 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 -3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 lb fresh green beans, cleaned and trimmed
- 1 large head boston lettuce, cleaned and chilled
- 4 tomatoes, quartered
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and quartered
- 2 ounces anchovies packed in oil, drained
- 2 -3 tablespoons drained capers
- 1⁄2 cup black olives
- 1 (6 ounce) can tuna in water, drained
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- To prepare the sauce: With a spoon, pound together the garlic and salt to a paste. Beat in a T each of lemon juice and wine vinegar and the dry mustard. Slowly whisk in the olive oil and the pepper and basil. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To prepare the potatoes: Scrub the potatoes; steam or boil unil tender, about 20 minutes. Cut into chunks, or slice 1/2 inch thick. Toss potatoes gently with shallots, salt, pepper, chicken broth and water. Allow to sit 4 minutes, tossing once or twice to absorb liquid evenly. Add 1/4 cup dressing, toss again and refrigerate.
- To prepare the salad: Place the beans in boiling water 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water until chilles. Drain and pat dry; chill.
- Toss the lettace with several spoonfuls of dressing and arrange the leaves around the edge of a large, deep platter. Turn the potato salad into the middle of the leaves. Arrange tomatoes around the potatoes and drizzle with a little dressing. Toss the beans with a spoonful of dressing and arrange around tomatoes.
- Distribute the eggs and garnish with anchovies and capers. Ring the potatoes with a line of black olives. Break up the tuna and arrange in the center of the potato salad. Drizzle with dressing. Garnish with parsley and serve.