I didn't read this in any of Julia's books, but rather by watching her show. Some of my earliest memories are of sitting with my mother as a little girl, watching Julia on the television.
- Remove all the cloves of garlic from the head.
- Take a smallish saucepan and heat to boiling about a cup or two of water; add the cloves of garlic and simmer for 1 minute.
- Drain the water and peel the garlic (which should be softish and should peel easily) - peeling an entire head can take about 5+ minutes, depending on how accustomed you are to doing it.
- Use in whatever recipe(s) you'd like!
- You can store the peeled garlic in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days.
- Note: you can, of course, even do a single clove in this manner - I just like to do a bunch at a time.
Great cooking tip. It works!
I used this recipe to prepare only a few cloves of garlic. This skins simply slipped off. Very easy. Thanks for sharing. Made for Iron Chefs Tag.