Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
I went to school 2,000 miles away from my midwestern home and then booked to the opposite coast upon graduating -- I've spent 7 Thanksgivings at various houses because I couldn't afford to go home, so I've tasted a lot of families' stuffings and none of them hold a candle to my mom's. Well I guess it's not really my mom's recipe, but I don't care. It's awesome.
- 5 cups cornbread, crumbled (use 1 box of Jiffy corn bread mix for this. since I'm not sure what ingredients the mix requires, yo)
- 1 lb sausage meat
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery ribs, chopped
- 2 cups breadcrumbs, unseasoned, lightly pressed down
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons dried sage (more if you like)
- 4 ounces melted butter
- Prepare cornbread according to mix directions.
- Break up sausage meat. Saute in a pan for several minutes until gray. Scrape into a large mixing bowl, leaving fat in pan.
- In pan, saute onions for 5-6 minutes. Add celery, saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the sauteed vegetables to the sausage, along with the cornbread and bread crumbs. Combine sage and eggs, and pour into mixture. Fold in the melted butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stuff cavite of turkey with mixture and bake according to roaster time. If baking separate from turkey, place mixture in a baking pan, cover with foil, and bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes, maybe even less. Do not overbake otherwise the stuffing will dry out.