Recipe by davinandkennard
So silken, so rich, so wonderful. Rave reviews every time! In place of the rum you may use orange liqueur, strong coffee or strained fresh orange juice. This is incredibly rich and a little goes a long way. Promise not to laugh? I always serve it with whipped cream to cut the richness of the mousse. As Julia would say "Bon Appetit!" From The Way to Cook by Julia Child
Top Review by Holly Short
Yum! This is the very best chocolate mousse I have ever made. You should try it. An idea is to chill the mousse and layer it with whipped cream and a meringue nut crust. I haven't tried doing that yet but I will soon. It's something I had at a restaurant and loved to death.
- 1 cup semisweet baking chocolate
- 4 tablespoons strong coffee
- 6 ounces soft unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup rum or 1⁄4 cup strong coffee
- 4 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup instant superfine sugar
- 2 tablespoons instant superfine sugar
- whipped cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the chocolate and 4 Tbsp strong coffee in a small sauce pan and place in a pan of hot water. Stir for a minute or so until melting begins.
- Place egg yolks in a bowl and beat, adding the sugar in a thin stream. Continue beating until the mixture is thick, pale and forms a ribbon. Beat in the rum. Set over a pan of almost simmering water and beat for an additional 5 minutes. Test with your finger to make sure the mixture is warmed through.
- Allow to cool. It should again form a ribbon and have the consistency of thick creamy mayonnaise.
- Stir the chocolate until smooth and gradually add the softened butter. When totally in corporate stir the mixture into the yolks and sugar.
- In a clean dry bowl beat the room temperature egg whites. Begin slowly and increase the speed until soft peaks are formed. Sprinkle with 2 TBSP of sugar and a pinch of salt. Continue beating until stiff peaks are formed.
- Fold 1/4 of the stiff egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it. Scoop the remaining egg whites on top and delicately fold them inches.
- Place into a mold or serving dishes and chill for several hours or overnight.
- Serve with whipped cream if desired.