Cook1 hr 10 mins
Makes a simple and wonderful dessert, or a delicious and indulgent breakfast!
Make and share this Julia Child's Cherry Clafouti recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Using a blender, combine the milk, 1/3 cup sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt and flour, and blend.
- Lightly butter an 8-cup baking dish, and pour a 1/4-inch layer of the blended mixture over the bottom. Set remaining batter aside.
- Place dish into the oven for about 7-10 minutes, until a film of batter sets in the pan but the mixture is not baked through. Remove from oven (but don’t turn the oven off, yet).
- Distribute the pitted cherries over the set batter in the pan, then sprinkle with the remaining sugar. Pour the remaining batter over the cherries and sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 60 minutes, until the clafouti is puffed and brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve warm.
- Servings: 6-8 for dessert, 4 for breakfast.
I used a combination of frozen peaches and blueberries, which I simmered in some cognac and agave syrup. I also used three egg whites and one whole egg and agave syrup to lighten the recipe a bit. It turned out very well--a simple recipe with an impressive outcome. I simmered some additional blueberries in cognac and pureed for a warm sauce to serve on top. Got great reviews from my fiance.
I loved this recipe! I had some delicious fresh cherries, and I wanted a simple recipe to make something great. This was it! I also added about a cup of blueberries...wonderful! I especially liked that all the ingredients for the batter are things you usually have on hand. I will make this again for sure, and may try it with some other fruits mentioned in the comments here!
this was a wonderful dessert! i used rainer cherries and it turned out to be a sweet and sour dessert. delightful! it had an eggy flavor though, which wasn't bad. thanks for posting this recipe!