Recipe by LoriLou
A simple, delicious tart made with fresh fruit and yogurt. I have used frozen pie shells & frozen puff pastry with equal success in this. It is delicious with vanilla flavored yogurt and pure vanilla extract! The cook time does not include the cooling times.
Top Review by jackieliz
Tasty and beautiful, but for us, this is more breakfast/brunch than dessert. Definitely tastes like yogurt and who doesnt like juicy blueberries and toasted almonds? It is not sweet at all, the dusting of powdered sugar increases the sweetness a bit but seemed like a sweet quiche.
- pie dough, well chilled (or pastry, enough to line a 9" round cake pan or 9" round springform pan, at least 1 1/2" deep; a 10)
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries or 1 1⁄2 cups raspberries or 1 1⁄2 cups mixed berries or 1 1⁄2 cups sliced peaches or 1 1⁄2 cups plums or 1 1⁄2 cups nectarines or 1 1⁄2 cups stone fruit
- 1⁄3 cup coarsley chopped toasted almond
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Working on a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12" circle 1/8 to 1/4" thick; Fit into the pan, pressing against bottom and up the sides; Trim to 1/2" and crimp edges; Chill about 30 minute.
- Fit a round of parchment or wax paper or aluminum foil into bottom of the crust, fill with dried beans, rice or pie weights; Blind bake crust 20-25 minutes in a 400* oven, until set and lightly browned.
- Remove weights and liner; Cool to room temperature on a rack and lower oven to 325*.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together until they thicken slightly and turn pale, 2-3 minutes.
- Fold in yogurt and vanilla, mix just until blended.
- Gradually add the flour through a sifter, folding it in gently.
- Pour the yogurt filling into the cooled tart shell, smoothing the top; the filling will only come about 2/3's of the way to the top.
- Scatter the fruit over the top of the tart; it will push the filling to the top of the crust.
- Sprinkle with chopped nuts around the edge of the tart.
- Place tart on jelly roll pan to catch drips and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until top is golden; Transfer to rack and cool to room temperature.
- Unmold tart; Serve at room temperature, or chilled if desired; sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.
- Serve the same day as baked; cover and refrigerate.