A simple, delicious tart made with fresh fruit and yogurt. I have used frozen pie shells & frozen puff pastry with equal success in this. It is delicious with vanilla flavored yogurt and pure vanilla extract! The cook time does not include the cooling times.
- pie dough, well chilled (or pastry, enough to line a 9" round cake pan or 9" round springform pan, at least 1 1/2" deep; a 10)
- 3 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh blueberries or 1 1⁄2 cups raspberries or 1 1⁄2 cups mixed berries or 1 1⁄2 cups sliced peaches or 1 1⁄2 cups plums or 1 1⁄2 cups nectarines or 1 1⁄2 cups stone fruit
- 1⁄3 cup coarsley chopped toasted almond
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Working on a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12" circle 1/8 to 1/4" thick; Fit into the pan, pressing against bottom and up the sides; Trim to 1/2" and crimp edges; Chill about 30 minute.
- Fit a round of parchment or wax paper or aluminum foil into bottom of the crust, fill with dried beans, rice or pie weights; Blind bake crust 20-25 minutes in a 400* oven, until set and lightly browned.
- Remove weights and liner; Cool to room temperature on a rack and lower oven to 325*.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together until they thicken slightly and turn pale, 2-3 minutes.
- Fold in yogurt and vanilla, mix just until blended.
- Gradually add the flour through a sifter, folding it in gently.
- Pour the yogurt filling into the cooled tart shell, smoothing the top; the filling will only come about 2/3's of the way to the top.
- Scatter the fruit over the top of the tart; it will push the filling to the top of the crust.
- Sprinkle with chopped nuts around the edge of the tart.
- Place tart on jelly roll pan to catch drips and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until top is golden; Transfer to rack and cool to room temperature.
- Unmold tart; Serve at room temperature, or chilled if desired; sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.
- Serve the same day as baked; cover and refrigerate.