1/2 Photos of Julia Child's Baked Cucumbers With All Variations
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe comes from Mastering the Art of French Cooking, 1961. 'If the natural moisture content is now withdrawn beforehand, cucumbers exude so much water as they are heated that you usually end up with a tasteless mush and swear never to cook cucumbers again. Blanching for 5 minutes before cooking will remove unwanted water, but also most of the cucumber flavor. A preliminary sojourn in salt draws out the water and also the bitterness, if they are the bitter European type, yet leaves the flavor, which a little vinegar and salt accentuates. We have found the following method delicious, and suggest it for all cooked cucumber recipes. Baked cucumbers go with roast, broiled, or sauteed chicken or veal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel the cucumbers.
- 2Cut in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
- 3Cut into lengthwise strips about 3/8 inch wide.
- 4Cut strips into 2 inch pieces.
- 5Toss the cucumber in a bow with the vinegar, salt and sugar.
- 6Let stand for 30 minutes to several hours.
- 7Drain and pat dry in a towel.
- 8Preheat oven to 375.
- 9Toss the cucumbers in a baking dish with the butter, herbs, scallions and pepper.
- 10Set uncovered in the middle level of the preheated oven for about an hour, tossing 2-3 times, until cucumbers are tender, but still have a suggestion of crispiness and texture. They will barely color during cooking.
- 11Variation One: Parslied Cucumbers.
- 12In a warm vegetable dish toss with 2 Tbsp minced parsley.
- 13Variation Two: Creamed Cucumbers.
- 14Boil 1 cup whipping cream until it has reduced by half. Season with salt and pepper, fold into the hot baked cucumbers, sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Julia Child's Baked Cucumbers With All Variations
Serving Size: 1 (209 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 81.8
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 636.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 1.4 g