Recipe by Trnquilit
This is one of my favorite potato salads! I make this for parties all the time & get asked for the recipe. I have quite a few friends that claim to not like potato salad or anything with mayonnaise but they gobble this up.
Top Review by Curlee827
I've been using this technique for making potato salad for years, ever since my sister gave me this recipe. I generally use red potatos (I like my potato salad firmer) and I omit the bacon and boiled eggs (due to picky eaters). I use 1/2 mayo, 1/2 sour cream and mix with a little pickle juice to make creamy before adding it to the potatoes. This is requested at bbqs often! Thanks for posting!
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes (or other waxy boiling potatoes)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup chicken stock or 1⁄3 cup potato water
- 2⁄3 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup celery (finely chopped)
- 3 -4 slices bacon (crisply cooked, chopped or crumbled)
- 2 -3 tablespoons dill pickle relish or 2 -3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 eggs (hard-boiled, peeled & sliced thin)
- 3 tablespoons chives (finely chopped) or 3 tablespoons scallions (finely chopped)
- white pepper (freshly ground if avail.)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (homemade if possible)
- sour cream (optional)
- lettuce leaf
- pimiento (diced)
- egg (hard-boiled, sliced)
- tomatoes (quartered)
- parsley sprig
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice potatoes lengthwise in 1/2 or in quarters if very large; cut crosswise into 1/2 round or 1/4 round slices, about 1/2" thick. Put in a saucepan with just enough water to cover & 1 1/2 t of salt per quart of water. Heat to a simmer & cook for 5 - 6 min until just cooked through. (It is essential that they be cooked through!). Remove from heat & drain, reserving 1 c of the cooking liquid for later use.
- Transfer potatoes to a large bowl; stir together the cider vinegar with 1/3 c of the potato water or chicken stock & drizzle over potatoes, turning them gently to distribute it evenly. Let sit 10 min to absorb the liquid.
- Add the onion, celery, bacon, pickle, hard-boiled eggs & chives; season to taste. Top with 2/3 c of mayonnaise (or a mix of mayonnaise & sour cream) & gently fold everything together. Taste & add more salt, pepper or mayonnaise as needed.
- Cover & refrigerate for at least an hour; if it is refrigerated longer, bring back to room temperature before serving.
- To serve, line a bowl or platter with lettuce & mound salad on top. Taste again & adjust seasoning if needed. Decorate at the last moment.