Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Julia Child's "Way To Cook" - "to be used as a garnish, or to be pureed and used in sauces or other purees."
- 1 head garlic (with large cloves)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground white pepper
- Separate the garlic cloves from the head.
- Take a smallish saucepan and heat to boiling about a cup of water; add the cloves of garlic and simmer for about 1 minute- drain, peel the garlic (which should be softish and should peel easily) and set aside.
- Melt the butter in the saucepan; add back in the peeled garlic and sauté over low for 10 to 15 minutes, until they're a creamy yellow color and are very tender.
- Add the cream to the saucepan, as well as the salt and a bit of freshly ground white pepper, and simmer over low for 5 to 10 minutes until garlic is"meltingly tender".
- Notes: These can be used in many recipes, such as mashed potatoes, in a creamy pasta sauce, over sautéed spinach, or just snack on them all by themselves!